Thursday, January 12, 2012

A New Year - A New PR!

The 2012 racing season started off with a new personal record at the DC Road Runner Club's Al Lewis Ten Miler. My expectations were low as I was still jet-lagged and had consumed three beers the previous night. During the four mile warm-up with Franco and Matt, the pace was slow at around 8:15 but we were just moving the legs. At the start of the race, Matt and I opened up a solid pace and Franco caught us a few miles in. We were all together at the turnaround mile 5 marker, but then Franco took off to leave Matt and I trailing. Matt stayed on my heels for a few miles, but with over two to go, he dropped back - which was right around the time I saw I was getting closer to Franco. With just over a mile left, I charged up a hill to close the gap and on the descent sped by him and another guy. I managed to hold on the last painful mile to finish in 1:04:00 - a new PR by over 80 seconds! Next up: JFK 20K.

No comments:

Post a Comment