Monday, August 6, 2018

Project Breaking 5: The Race

July 21, 2018 - Race Day

The day of the race was a wet day. It rained. A lot. All day. And it got worse later into the day. I had planned to run to Shawn's house and then we would run to Dunbar High School. But, it was pouring so he picked me up and then we ran from his house. We were soaked within two minutes. If it weren't the night of our big race we trained hard for the last month, I would have enjoyed the 60 degree temperature day in July and listening to the steady to heavy rain. Instead, I cursed my luck.

It was less than three miles to the track. The meet was still on, but there were very few participants. Almost everyone was crowded under an awning attached to the school. Those that had to use the bathroom had to brave the elements. Only racers left the dry confines - the rest watched the action. No one was in the bleachers. The race director consolidated many of the heats. The master's mile still went on at the scheduled time. Shawn and I ran a few striders and reported to the line when called.

Foolishly, I thought the rain and wind wouldn't be a factor. I went out and hit 200 meters in 36 seconds, right on track to break 5. By 400 meters, my legs were really heavy and I had slowed. The eventual winner kept his pace and the lead throughout the race. I was in second through 200, but was in fourth by 400, behind Shawn who was battling for second. I would remain in fourth for the next three laps, not really able to get my legs under me or pick up the pace. The wet track and heavy rain were factors that slowed me down considerably. I could not keep my projected pace as I sloshed along the drenched track that was otherwise in great condition.

The results

Mixed Masters Mile (only top four listed since the results have not been corrected):

Place Bib Time First Last Gender Age City State
1 59 04:50.8 Scott Anderson M 44 Washington DC
2 44 04:50.9 Andrew Oxendine M 44 Harpers Ferry WV
3 51 05:29.7 Shawn Zeller M 43 Washington DC
4 50 05:52.4 Kenny Ames M 41 Washington DC

The other two times I attempted the mile, I ran 5:24 and 5:13. I felt I was capable of at least a 5:10 if I fell off sub 5 pace. In my mind, 4:57 was the time. But I tried to race as if it were perfect conditions and paid the price. At least I broke 6.

Twenty minutes later, I raced the 3K on a whim. I held the same pace for the 3K as I had for mile. Shawn took the lead with Andrew in second. I eventually caught and passed Andrew. With 600 to go, I thought if Shawn were to fade, I had a chance at winning. With 400 to go, I was giving it all I had. With 200 to go, I was getting close - and then he began his kick. I couldn't match. With no chance of catching him and no one near me, I let up and cruised in. I didn't even realize a small push could have broken 11 - my mind was already at the finish line.

Mixed 3K
PlaceBibTimeFirstLastGenderAgeCityState
15110:53.9ShawnZellerM43WashingtonDC
25011:01.3KennyAmesM41WashingtonDC
34411:41.8AndrewOxendineM44Harpers FerryWV
43613:01.0JohnWayM53RockvilleMD
55413:54.7TedPoulosM56McLeanVA
64914:21.3DougKellyM52WashingtonDC
75714:21.4CindyCohenF50WASHINGTONDC
84322:03.3Jeanette ANovakF74DamascusMD

Instead of a cool down run home, we took a ride from Alex. After two wet races, I was sopping wet and ready for a warm shower. It was disappointing that the weather didn't cooperate, but that was out of my control.

Post Script:

On August 1, I decided to try a time trial to see if I could break 5. I went to the McKinley Tech track, warmed-up, and then set my sights on a fast mile. There were two runners who agreed to time me. There was no taper, no other runners to push me, and a mud patch in lane 1 right around 300 meters, I ran 5:17. I don't know my splits as it seemed I was on pace to break 5 but the laps that the timers announced were inaccurate apparently. I'm okay with this effort even though it is slower than my PR for the distance. It was hot and humid - no excuses - but it was a solid result given the disappointment of the one mile race. I would like to try again, either on a flat one mile stretch or another track, but I won't have the chance and it is time to begin focusing on marathon training for New York City. Maybe next year Shawn and I will achieve our goal.

1 comment:

  1. In case you find it useful I have found a free app for runners, it is called GPS TOTAL RUN (for Android) and has everything: Statistics, Times, Saves and loads routes, records routes, has maps, etc.
    I recommend that you at least try it.
    It is an app awarded in an app contest
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.JavierPar.GPSJP

    ReplyDelete