Sunday, June 9, 2019

Canceled for "Flooding:" The Cellcom Green Bay (Half) Marathon




In my marathon career, I have registered for 49 marathons, finished 46, have 0 DNF (did not finish), and 3 were canceled. The 2012 New York City Marathon was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy. It was the correct call, but they waited to decide and announce it the Friday before the race when people had already arrived. I was in the car with my now-wife driving up the BW Parkway when we heard the news. My second canceled marathon was the 2017 Mississippi Blues Marathon. I caught an early morning flight to Chicago to transfer. There was a freak ice storm and the pilot told us (we hadn't boarded) that he couldn't land. When the flight was canceled, I caught a flight back to DC. Later that night, I heard the marathon was eventually canceled due to ice on the course. They made the right call.

Packet Pick Up at Lambeau Field

In each of these instances, I was fortunate to be able to pick up a replacement race. The week after New York City, I ran the Marshall University Marathon in Huntington, WV. They offered registered New York City Marathon runners a discount. The day that Mississippi Blues was supposed to be, I ran the Al Lewis 10 Miler in Maryland, hosted by my running club, DC Road Runners - a free race since I am a member. I try to understand how difficult it is to put on a race and the deliberations that must go into deciding whether to cancel a race. For New York City and Mississippi Blues, they were both obviously correct calls.
Ready for the Kids' Run

For the Green Bay Marathon, I was really disappointed with the decision to cancel the full, and I believe it was the wrong call. When I woke up to begin race preparation, I read this text:

The Cellcom Green Bay Marathon together with our public safety and medical partner has made the decision to cancel its marathon Sunday, May 19 due to flooding on the course.

Ready to race around the football field

I reread the text several times before getting to the second part:

Marathoners will have the option to run the half. Further details here.

I was bloated from my carb load. I tried to get ready and leave my room so my son and wife could sleep. I was so mad. I read Facebook comments and even texted to ask if we could run the half twice.
A selfie during the race inside Lambeau Field

I went down to the hotel lobby, but it was so early (5AM) that no one was there. I decided to head back to my room, where Miles was awake. I put on the iPad and climbed back into bed. Around 6AM, I got up and Laura wondered why I was back in bed. I told her and she was so sad for me. She was really supportive as I was devastated. I was ready for a marathon, not a half. I eventually left the room to begin a warm up run to the start.


Packet Pick Up with the Family

The "flooding" was near my hotel, so I got a good look at it. That only made me upset since there wasn't that much water, runners could have been diverted or just run through it. No one was going to get swept into the River. And, the water on the course was in the 25th mile, which was near the end of the race. There was maybe 50 meters of water on the trail by the river. In my opinion, runners could have been directed around the water.


Frozen custard near Green Bay at Zesty's

I ran down to the start and got ready. A photographer wanted to take my picture, and I declined. I didn't want to remember this race. I thought since it was "just a half" I should try to PR. That's not how it went. My mind was ready for the full, and my body didn't respond. The first few miles were okay, but then I lost my pace and just held on. The half was run through neighborhoods and a part went around Lambeau Field. Running through the stadium was neat, but the rest of the course wasn't particularly scenic or memorable. It wasn't a memorable race or a particularly fast time. I barely broke 1:27. A stranger raced me to the finish, and I am thankful he did otherwise I wouldn't have cracked 1:27. Here is the proof that I finished.


Frozen custard near Milwaukee inside Kopps


I went to the results desk to check and see if I placed in my age group. 7th. I did not. I ran back to the room to get my cool down. When I got back to my hotel, the flooding had receded and wouldn't have impacted the race. I was looking forward to racing Green Bay to add it as another state on my 50 state marathon quest. I know that it is a tough decision to cancel any race, but in my opinion, the organizers made the wrong call. As a final kick-in-the-pants, when I finished the half, the announcer mispronounced my name which summed up my race experience.


Tasty!

Results:
71 overall out of 2640; 65th male; 7th age group
31:37 at 5 mile mark; 1:05:42 at 10 mile; and 1:19:19 at 12 mile
6:38 average pace

Email after the race: "Dear Kenny Ames, Thanks for competing in the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon, you finished in a time of 1:26:41. Your detailed results are available here: Detailed Results and you can search all competitors and categories here Results."

In Milwaukee near Lake Michigan

It was a mistake to cancel the full marathon. I saw the "flooding." It could have easily been run through or run around. I am very upset that the full was canceled after traveling from DC with my wife and young son. Plus, as a member of the 50 state marathon club, I will have to come back to Wisconsin at a later date to check off Wisconsin. Do not worry - I will find another city to run as I do not plan to come back to Green Bay.



1 comment:

  1. Why are everyone looking for ways online to get help solving their pregnancy and infertility problems when most of every native American is talking online about the help of Dr Mandaker Alamun. I checked him out when my husband who could not get me pregnant for over 9 years of marriage as a result of low sperm count became fertile and now, I am 5 months pregnant and it is this man known as Dr Mandaker who helped my husband solve his problem. My name is Alecia Maldonado from CA USA. I would advise anyone and everyone who needs the help of any spell caster in love marriage,finance, job promotion,lottery spell,poker spell,golf spell,Law & Court case Spells,money spell,weigh loss spell,diabetic spell,hypertensive spell,high cholesterol spell,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need spiritual marriage separation),good Luck, Money Spells,it's all he does or looking for breakthrough in your political career to meet this Dr Mandaker the link to his website copy this link(witch-doctor.page4.me) for He is Reliable and trustworthy. I and my husband have gone to different hospitals having the thinking that I was at fault for not getting pregnant. But at the Federal hospital, they examined him too and his sperm count was low and unable to get a woman pregnant as a result of male infertility. It was then I sort out,thanks to Dr Mandaker.

    ReplyDelete