Sunday, July 8, 2018

Project Breaking 5: Part 2

This week, I decided to run two speed workouts. Initially, I thought I should try to race a 5K on July 4 since there are so many races. But, it didn't fit into my scheduled plans for the rest of the day. Then, I thought I would run 12.5 laps around the track and call it a time trial 5K - see if I could get under 18 minutes. I would then run a second workout on Friday. However, I received advice from friends and a coach that shorter and faster workouts were better for my mile training. I decided to do two workouts - one on Tuesday and another on Friday.

On Tuesday, July 3, it was another hot day = 80s but it felt 90s with sun which made for a hazy, hot, and humid day! I warmed up with a run to the track then did one lap of striders. I took a moment after the striders to get my heart rate close to resting before diving into the meat of the workout:

12 x 200 meters with slow 200 meter jog. I needed the full 400 meters after the 8th rep. For the 9th rep and on, I ran clockwise. Time in seconds: 34.56 (4:48); 35.66 (4:57); 34.51 (4:48); 34.66 (4:49); 35.42 (4:55); 34.75 (4:50); 35:07 (4:30); 36:26 (5:02); 36:73 (4:43); 36:72 (4:22); 35.43 (4:33); 35:01 (4:29). The time in parenthesis are what my Garmin had for pace, but it was off so unreliable. The times are what matter and I felt I hit my times. I was planning to run 16 reps, but I shortened the reps to reflect the effort on the hot, tough day. It was the right call. I ran home as my cool down.

On Friday, I returned to the track. This time, I decided not to repeat Tuesday's workout, but instead I lengthened it to 400 meters with 6 reps (counterclockwise) and 3 laps easy jog (clockwise for the rest interval). The weather was much cooler as it started out with a brief drizzle and stayed overcast throughout the workout. The temperature was still in the 80s. Again, my warm up was run to the track then a lap of striders followed by resting to get my heart rate down. For the workout, I nailed my laps: 72.6, 71.6, 71.2, 73.9, 72.8, and 71.7. The 71.2 is my PR for one lap around the track! I ran my cool down home.

Shawn raced a 4.5 miler down the Cape on the Fourth. I noticed on Saturday he ran half mile repeats near mile pace. Maybe he saw that I did two workouts this week and didn't want to fall behind!

On Monday, I ran Miles to and from daycare in my Bob's Ironman stroller (love that stroller!), and Wednesday I also ran with him in the stroller on the Sligo Loop as I call it. Thursday I ran 12 on the Northeast Branch - I probably went further than desired. And this weekend, I took Miles out twice in the Bob's - once on the Sligo Loop again and this morning on the Klingle Zoo Loop. We hadn't visited the animals in the zoo for awhile. But, I am interested to see if all the running with Miles in the Bob's stroller has made me stronger and faster. So far, the results seem to show that it is helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment